- In an alternate universe Blair and Mia rule the Planet Yak. A place where peace reigns, cupcakes aren’t fattening and glitter doesn’t stick to your hands for all eternity. But when they are on this planet they are working mommies, aspiring domestic goddesses, DIY-enthusiasts and bloggers who are in constant pursuit of all things pretty.
Subscribe to Blog
Instagram FeedNo feed. Create and publish a feed to display it.
What You Missed
Category Archives: Women of Wonder
Junelle is a master in the kitchen and has taught us many tricks over the years. She is also the mastermind behind LARDIERE Fine Foods, which are staples in our pantries.
You may have already noticed that we are big, big fans of LARDIERE Fine Foods. In our recent Happiness is a Hamper post, we included their dried strawberries, strawberry whip, and soy candles to add to the luxuriousness of our hamper. When we were graciously given a Triumph of Truffles from the Truffle Kitchen, we called on Junelle for her expert advice. And in our very first post (yay!), How to Layer a Cheese Board, we added their soy candles to our cheese board because, a) they are gorgeous and b) they keep the bugs away.
It is our greatest pleasure to share with you Junelle Germishuizen as this week’s Women of Wonder.
Name: Junelle Germishuizen
Birthday: 10 May
Age: 6 YEARS FROM Retirement
Business: LARDIERE Fine Foods
My eulogy should reflect my passion for food, of course, and amongst other important things. I am over committed to producing the best tasting & quality products humanly possible. I am addicted to change & love setting my course towards unchartered waters. My husband is too good to be true, but really he is. My 5 children are truly polar opposites, all with one thing in common, fantastic taste buds & my worthy critics. I absolutely love entertaining, setting tables, creating new menu’s & so the list goes on…
- What makes you happy? Abundant interaction( very touchy , feely person), banter from my family & close friends. Time, the one thing we cannot buy. Innovation. Real life Celebrity Chefs that remains humble in spite of their achievements.
- If there is only one thing you wanted the world to say about you, what would it be? Crazy food obsessed lady, almost like crazy cat lady!
- Who inspires you in life and why? Self-motivated people, I am not fussy about their gender, but about what they want to get out of life. If it is all about me, I SAY, HOUSTON WE HAVE A PROBLEM…………
- What is your superpower? Never, ever, ever giving up even if it seems impossible.
- How do you handle criticism? I use to take serious offence, but old age has marinated me into understanding that everyone has an opinion & it doesn’t have to be yours. Choose your battles, daily…
- In one year from now, what will you be celebrating? International product orders that will sustain my new travel addiction, which I will develop round about the same time.
- What has been the hardest business decision you have ever made? Venturing into LARDIERE, a foreign concept for most. Online shopping is scary for most adventurers.
- When did you know that THIS is what you wanted to do for a living? My career started when my darling mother used to cater stunning parties, I fell in love with her style & amazing attention to detail, from setting tables to preparing food for days, I mean days….. her relentless search for the best products & enthusiasm to work for through the night to create that perfect evening.
- Where is your happy place? That place in Africa, where the need for speed is not required, where the bushveld fire is roaring along with the lions & owls compliment the night sounds. With my besties (family, friends, future friends) where there is peace, love & abundant new foodie flavours.
- What is one quote that inspires you?
Have a happy day!
Mia & Blair
Meet Chanzelle, today’s woman of wonder. She is a genius when it comes to needle and thread, and considering that we can barely sew a button, we are in awe.
Name: Chanzelle van der Linde
Birthday: 29 December 1985 – I know (Almost a ’86 baby!)
Age: 30 years old
My name is Chanzelle van der Linde, I am driven by passion and therefore I took my love for children and my passion for interior and combined the two to start my own company called Klein Pikkewyn Bedding and Accessories. I absolutely love being creative and being behind my sewing machine. It’s like therapy to me, and as every mom has a unique idea for their baby’s room I get to work on something different every day – which helps with the creative juices! I feel incredibly blessed to be able to do what I love, and remind myself of that every day. I took a sewing course two years ago and I was transformed, I absolutely fell in love with creating beautiful things with my hands. I am also currently finishing up my studies for Interior Decorating at DSSA in Menlyn. I am married to an amazing man who has made all the dreams I didn’t even know about come true.
- What makes you happy? Family
- If there was only one thing you wanted the world to say about you, what would It be? That I undoubtedly did my BEST at everything I tried.
- Who inspires you in life and why? I have so many amazing people in my life that it is difficult to name just one. I am inspired by the different characteristics of each of the special people in my life.
- What is your superpower? The belief hat I can do it ALL!
- How do you handle criticism? …Refer to no 4…Did I not mention I can do everything?
- In one year from now, what will you be celebrating? Hopefully the birth of our first child – and the first successful year of Klein Pikkewyn!
- What has been the hardest business decision you have ever made? Leaving a secure job and chasing my dreams. It has made me face fears I didn’t even know I had.
- When did you know that THIS is what you wanted to do for a living? After taking up sewing lessons two years ago.
- Where is your happy place? In the arms of my husband (Queue the violin music)
- What is one quote that inspires you?
Have a great weekend!
Mia & Blair
From the cradle to couture, Madeline Nortje has always know what she wanted to do with her life. She is undoubtedly one of the most stylish women we’ve ever met. As a working mother of three, we have no idea how she looks so fresh and put together every single day. It’s clearly a talent she was born with.
My Closet Confidentials is a consulting service that will assist you in organizing your closet so you can utilize the best your wardrobe has to offer, or perhaps you are in need of a personal shopper to create the perfect wardrobe that you always wanted but didn’t know how to get.
InBloom Studio is a boutique shop where Madeline has curated some of the best brands South Africa and the world has to offer.
The Happy Go Lucky Club is happy to introduce you to Madeline:
Name: Madeline Nortje
Birthday: 11 September
Age: Almost 32!!! Depending on the day, I also sometimes answer 41 or 21 – depends on who’s asking.
For me, I’m just Madeline. I’ve also been referred to as a unicorn. I answer to mommy for three perfect children (no really – aside for the normal tantrum once in forever, they are practically perfect!).
I own a boutique (InBloom) and a wardrobe styling & personal shopping business (My CC).
I drink bulletproof coffee and wine interchangeably to get me through my days of meetings, range viewings, shopping sessions and my standard 3-pager To Do List.
I have a very big heart, a growth mindset and a lot of ambition & passion. I’m a normal person who loves & appreciates pretty things around me and would do anything for my family and a real, good friend. I’m one of those “ride-or-die-bitches”.
- What makes you happy? I’m at my happiest when I do something for someone and they didn’t expect it and really appreciates my effort. I’m easy to please – so pretty darn happy most of my days.
- If there was only one thing you wanted the world to say about you, what would it be? “She always really made me feel good about myself.”
- Who inspires you in life and why? I think as I go through different phases in my own life, I’m inspired by different things. For example, when I was younger with babies, women who seemed to juggle both being a mother and having a ‘blooming’ career inspired and intrigued me. Now, at 31, I feel I’m managing and I’m inspired by women who have a family life (routine) in place, they have either a large business or multiple businesses, they make time for family, friends, and gatherings, they look amazing and they give back to their communities, even making them more successful wives and mothers in my eyes.
- What is your superpower? I can laugh at myself.
- How do you handle criticism? I never handled criticism well. As I’ve grown in the last 2 years I’ve learned so much about stoicism and have really applied it to my life. It turns out, I’m not getting criticized as much either 😉 – which makes me realize that it was never the speaker…it was the listener with the problem.
- In one year from now, what will you be celebrating? Definitely another 1 (or 2) branches of InBloom. The InBloom-range available as a brand in more stores than my own. A more relaxed family life.
- What has been the hardest business decision you have ever made? To sell a business that was my like my own child. And then to buy it back and starting all over again.
- When did you know that this is what you wanted to do for a living? When I was in a pram (stroller? what do we call it these days?) I remember watching the patterns of the carpets in Woolworths and Truworths and Edgars in Newcastle, where I grew up. I remember the feel of rails of garments that stood higher than me. I grew up with a mother who made numerous trips to shops but made careful and smart purchases. I think I owe more to her than I want to admit… My job of choice has been in my blood, in my blueprint. Always.
- Where is your happy place? In my own home – having my loved ones over.
- What’s one quote that inspires you?