From the cradle to couture, Madeline Nortje has always know what she wanted to do with her life. She is undoubtedly one of the most stylish women we’ve ever met. As a working mother of three, we have no idea how she looks so fresh and put together every single day. It’s clearly a talent she was born with.
My Closet Confidentials is a consulting service that will assist you in organizing your closet so you can utilize the best your wardrobe has to offer, or perhaps you are in need of a personal shopper to create the perfect wardrobe that you always wanted but didn’t know how to get.
InBloom Studio is a boutique shop where Madeline has curated some of the best brands South Africa and the world has to offer.
The Happy Go Lucky Club is happy to introduce you to Madeline:
Name: Madeline Nortje
Birthday: 11 September
Age: Almost 32!!! Depending on the day, I also sometimes answer 41 or 21 – depends on who’s asking.
For me, I’m just Madeline. I’ve also been referred to as a unicorn. I answer to mommy for three perfect children (no really – aside for the normal tantrum once in forever, they are practically perfect!).
I own a boutique (InBloom) and a wardrobe styling & personal shopping business (My CC).
I drink bulletproof coffee and wine interchangeably to get me through my days of meetings, range viewings, shopping sessions and my standard 3-pager To Do List.
I have a very big heart, a growth mindset and a lot of ambition & passion. I’m a normal person who loves & appreciates pretty things around me and would do anything for my family and a real, good friend. I’m one of those “ride-or-die-bitches”.
- What makes you happy? I’m at my happiest when I do something for someone and they didn’t expect it and really appreciates my effort. I’m easy to please – so pretty darn happy most of my days.
- If there was only one thing you wanted the world to say about you, what would it be? “She always really made me feel good about myself.”
- Who inspires you in life and why? I think as I go through different phases in my own life, I’m inspired by different things. For example, when I was younger with babies, women who seemed to juggle both being a mother and having a ‘blooming’ career inspired and intrigued me. Now, at 31, I feel I’m managing and I’m inspired by women who have a family life (routine) in place, they have either a large business or multiple businesses, they make time for family, friends, and gatherings, they look amazing and they give back to their communities, even making them more successful wives and mothers in my eyes.
- What is your superpower? I can laugh at myself.
- How do you handle criticism? I never handled criticism well. As I’ve grown in the last 2 years I’ve learned so much about stoicism and have really applied it to my life. It turns out, I’m not getting criticized as much either 😉 – which makes me realize that it was never the speaker…it was the listener with the problem.
- In one year from now, what will you be celebrating? Definitely another 1 (or 2) branches of InBloom. The InBloom-range available as a brand in more stores than my own. A more relaxed family life.
- What has been the hardest business decision you have ever made? To sell a business that was my like my own child. And then to buy it back and starting all over again.
- When did you know that this is what you wanted to do for a living? When I was in a pram (stroller? what do we call it these days?) I remember watching the patterns of the carpets in Woolworths and Truworths and Edgars in Newcastle, where I grew up. I remember the feel of rails of garments that stood higher than me. I grew up with a mother who made numerous trips to shops but made careful and smart purchases. I think I owe more to her than I want to admit… My job of choice has been in my blood, in my blueprint. Always.
- Where is your happy place? In my own home – having my loved ones over.
- What’s one quote that inspires you?