Here is an easy gift to put together for a guy, because we don’t know about you, but it’s always tough finding something them. We know it’s cool to buy a nice bottle of whiskey, but we like knowing we’re doing something different.
Rope or woven ribbon, long piece
A sprig of something green
Glass canning Jar
Sandpaper, fine *
- Lay down your string on your work table
- Pile the wood on top of the string and tie the bundle.
- Leave the two long pieces hanging down.
- Wrap the fire starter in the cellophane.
- Tie it to the bundle.
- Add the greenery. We used a sprig of aromatic Rosemary.
- Add the matches to the jar
- Trace the shape of the lid on the sandpaper. Use a pencil and draw on the back of the sheet.
- Cut out the circle.
- Place the sandpaper circle between the ring and the lid and close.
*A note about the sandpaper: We had to buy several kinds of sandpaper and try them out. The coarseness varies. Not all of them worked, so make sure to experiment.
We keep the jar near the fireplace and made another one for the braai. It’s super handy.
This gift will work well if you want to add a little extra something to Father’s day. We’re having all the family over, so it’s nice to give each dad something that doesn’t sink the budget.
Or you know, when you are invited to dinner by one of those competent hostesses who don’t want you to bring anything and her house is always perfect with flowers everywhere and you have no idea what to give them to say thanks for dinner? Well, this is it.
It is also a nice house warming idea for people who have a new fireplace. House warming, get it? Yes, our jokes are lame, but we think this idea is cool.
Have a happy day,
Mia & Blair